God, Chance, and Causation
May 13-15, 2010 at Rutgers University
Thursday, May 13
11:30am - 12:50pm Carl Gillett - Northern Illinois University
"On the Scientific Problem of Chemical, Biological, Psychological and Divine Action - and the Only Plausible Solution"
- Commentator: Timothy O'Connor - Indiana University
- Chair: Mark Johnston - Princeton University
2:40pm - 4:00pm Derek Pereboom - Cornell University
"Theological Determinism and Divine Providence"
- Commentator: Alicia Finch - Northern Illinois University
- Chair: Alan Rhoda - University of Notre Dame
4:10pm - 5:30pm Neal Judisch - University of Oklahoma
"Divine Conservation and Human Agency"
- Commentator: Daniel Speak - Loyola Marymount University
- Chair: Timothy Pawl - University of St. Thomas
8:00pm Samuel Newlands - University of Notre Dame
- Chair: Michael C. Rea - University of Notre Dame
Friday, May 14
10:00am - 11:20am Thomas F. Tracy - Bates College
"Special Divine Action, Determinism, and Chance"
- Commentator: Ryan Wasserman - Western Washington University
- Chair: Dean Zimmerman - Rutgers University
11:30am - 12:50pm Lydia Jaeger - Institut Biblique de Nogent-sur-Marne
"Against Physicalism-Plus-God: How Creation Accounts for Divine Action in the World"
- Commentator: Elise Crull - University of Notre Dame
- Chair: Thomas Senor - University of Arkansas
2:40pm - 4:00pm Cynthia Rigby - Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
"Providence and Play"
- Commentator: Oliver Crisp - University of Bristol
- Chair: John Sanders - Hendrix College
4:10pm - 5:30pm Ian A. McFarland - Emory University
"Can God Play Dice? Chance and the Question of Metaphysical Continuity between Creator and Creation"
- Commentator: Michael Rota - University of St. Thomas
- Chair: Kevin Diller - Taylor University
7:30pm Michel Barnes - Marquette University
- Chair: Hud Hudson - Western Washington University
Saturday, May 15
11:30am - 12:50pm Andrew Pinsent - Oxford University
"Joint Attention and Second-Personal Divine Causation"
- Commentator: Gordon Graham - Princeton Theological Seminary
- Chair: Karen Kilby - University of Nottingham
2:40pm - 4:00pm William J. Abraham - Southern Methodist University
"Divine Action and Analogy"
- Commentator: Jason Turner - University of Leeds
- Chair: Shieva Kleinschmidt - New York University