Lodging & Area Information
Lodging for all invited participants will be provided at The Fairfield Inn & Suites. It is located across the street from the south side of campus, within the Eddy Street Commons shopping, dining, and entertainment complex.
All sessions of the Logos 2012 Workshop will take place in the auditorium of the Eck Visitors Center on campus.
Downtown South Bend (Not within walking distance; if you need directions, just grab a local and they will show you the way.)
- Fiddler's Hearth: An “authentic” Irish pub with live music several nights a week.
- Cambodian Thai: A hole-in-the-wall Thai restaurant with delicious and very spicy curries—a good option for vegetarians and vegans.
- South Bend Chocolate Café: Soups, sandwiches, and salads, as well as an ice cream shop and an espresso bar.
Things to Do or See on Campus:
- Basilica of the Sacred Heart: Daily masses are at 11:30 am and at 5:15 pm on the weekdays, Saturday vigil is at 5:00 pm, and Sunday masses are at 10:00 am and 11:45 am. Feel free to attend a mass or to merely look around when a mass is not going on—there is usually a guide standing by to show you around. (Head north on Notre Dame Ave until it ends, then keep going—you can’t miss it)
- The Main Building (Golden Dome): there is a series of paintings of Columbus inside. (Next to the Basilica)
- The Grotto: a 1/7th replica of the Grotto at Lourdes where the Blessed Virgin appeared to St. Bernadette. (Behind the Basilica, down some stairs).
- The Lakes—St. Mary’s and St. Joseph’s: a walk on the path around one of the lakes is about 20 minutes or about 3/4 miles. Also a lovely place to go for a run. (Just beyond the Grotto)
- Snite Museum of Art (In O'Shaughnessey Hall, at the north end of the football stadium.)
- Hammes Notre Dame Bookstore: A nice place to sit and read, it has a café inside and also has a fairly large selection of books, as well as all kinds of Notre Dame paraphernalia. (Next to the Eck Visitors Center)